Love spells have been around for millennia giving people hope for everlasting love and acceptance. Some are intended to attract love, while others try to sway the behavior of a specific other person. Others try to make the person casting the spell more attractive, more interesting, and more open to the possibility of love.
If you want something more for your relationship status this year, a love spell could help focus your attention and bring what it is that you seek. Let’s take a look at some famous love spells through the ages. Plus, we have a few words of caution when practicing magic on others and some ways to troubleshoot spells if you can’t seem to get them right.
The History of Love Spells
We aren’t kidding about millennia. Recently, an ancient Egyptian love spell was deciphered, giving us a glimpse into the magical lives of people from 1300 years ago. The power and draw of magic have caused people throughout the ages to look for love potions.
During the classical period, Greeks practiced love spells by invoking the name of their goddess of love, Aphrodite. The petitioner would have made a request of this ancient goddess and then offered something in sacrifice – a piece of clothing or food perhaps.
The Druids also practiced love spells from what little we know of them. They used natural materials found all around them, and we believe that many of the rituals were carried out in secret to bestow love and fertility to the petitioning couple.
Both Voudou and Hoodoo also have their share of love spells developed separately from European traditions. Many people use leaders in these traditions to craft these love spells to help bind a person to them or to attract the conditions that help make love happen.
Modern Wicca has also gotten into the fray, sometimes borrowing from other traditions and creating love spells designed to affect the petitioner rather than interfere with free will.
The love spells of almost all traditions can be divided into two types. In one, the petitioner works love magic on themselves, hoping to draw energies that produce love, make themselves more open to it, and more attractive to those around them. There is no specific person involved.
Another, darker, side of love spells are ones designed to interfere with the free will of another person. They work on the emotions of the target to cause them to fall in love with the petitioner and stay with them, regardless of whether they’ve consented to this or not.
It’s important to remember that working on someone without their consent is unethical. Regardless of what you might find in the farthest reaches of the internet, love spells are intended to work on your energies, not ensnare someone unsuspecting. Don’t start a relationship with a kidnapping.
How Do Love Spells Work?
Love spells are intended to work on energies that are already there. If you and your crush already have feelings for each other, a love spell can help draw you together like a magnet, overcoming any nervous feelings, for example.
Love magic is about attracting the existing energies of love that are around you and opening roads where you may not have seen them before. You have to keep an open mind and heart to the magic of the spell rather than trying to force something that isn’t there.
Love spells won’t make someone fall in love with you if that energy doesn’t exist. Spells that attempt that are only messing with the fabric of consent and trapping an unwilling soul in your grasp. They’ll be challenging to maintain, and may cause high energy drains. This isn’t healthy, and it won’t last.
How to Get the Best Results
Magic isn’t mathematics. You must remain open to the possibilities of the universe in order to see the effects of your spell. With a closed mind, you may miss all the delicious potential magic has to offer.
You must also be extremely clear and honest about what it is that you want. Part of the spell is putting the petition out to the universe. If you’re vague and hold back, the universe may not be able to hone in on your energy, causing scattered results.
Keep your highest good in mind when you’re making your petition. Wanting to attract emotionally unavailable people isn’t in your best interest, and the universe may not honor your request. If you want a love that fulfills and sustains you, that should be the final goal.
If you’ve written your petition down, make sure that it’s clear and private. Burn it to release the energy officially to the universe and to free your intention from the boundaries of the paper. Fire and smoke can be powerful ways to tap into the power of the universe itself.
Common Love Spell Problems
If your love spell doesn’t work, there are a few reasons that could be. Before you start throwing any and all potions you find on the internet at your love spell, go through these common troubleshooting methods for crafting your spell.
Love spells don’t work if you aren’t honest about what you want. If you’re working on a specific person and they aren’t telling you the whole story, or you’re keeping the real story from yourself – as in, you aren’t being honest about the actual situation – magic will only tear those stories apart to help you get to the root. More work needs to be done to come into alignment.
If you want someone for the wrong reasons, that may also cause blockages with your spell. The universe wants to work for your highest good; anything less is a misfire. That’s why we say that it’s essential to work in attraction spells rather than working on spells that seek to trap a specific person.
You also must put in the physical work to the spell. If you perform a love spell and you sit in your house all day without attempting to meet people, it probably won’t work. It’s not just going to manifest a person straight into your living room. You have to attempt to put yourself out there as well.
Your ancestors and guides will often try to lead you down the correct path for your development. If you’re using candle magic and the wick keeps going out, for example, that could be a sign to try again at a different time. If the wick sputters and struggles, that could also be a sign that something is out of alignment.
Stay connected to your own energies, and be sure to keep your heart focused on what you want. It may be helpful to meditate a bit or take a bath so that your energies are relaxed and focused rather than scattered.
Beginner Love Spells
If you’ve never performed a love spell before, you may want to start small. Using ingredients you have around your home and simple tools, you can craft spells that help shift your own energies to make you more receptive to love. Here are some ideas.
You’ve crafted your petition, and you’re honest with yourself about what you want. Let’s take a look at a few simple things you can do to attract love to yourself.
Affirmations are some of the purest forms of magic we can perform. They require only a focused intention and your own clear words. Try repeating one of these every day for a few minutes while focusing on your eyes in the mirror (or create one of your own).
- “I am worthy and ready for love in my highest good.”
- “I accept love easily and with no fear.
- “Everywhere I go, I find love. Life is a joy.”
- “I am surrounded by love every day in many different ways.”
To give your affirmations an extra boost of focus, find a pink candle, and light it while you repeat your affirmations. Focusing on the movement of the flame can help focus your energy in the same way the mirror will.
Love Spell for the Bath
A bath is a great way to relax and focus your energies, bathing in the magic of your spell’s intention. For this spell you’ll need:
- A quarter cup of pink Himalayan salt
- A drop of honey
- Rose petals
- Hibiscus petals
- Rose quartz
- Run the bath and add the salt, honey, and petals.
- Step into the bath and focus your energy on being open to receiving the love the universe has to offer.
- Place the rose quartz on your heart chakra (over your heart) to focus the energy and meditate on your intention to be open to love for 15 minutes.
- Drain the bath and dry off. Take a few petals and place them on your altar, where you can be reminded of their power.
Dream Lover Sachet
To attract your dream lover to you, you can make a sachet to place under your pillow. These types of sachets help delve into the deepest parts of our desires and allow the universe to bring us what we want. To focus this energy, you’ll need:
- A pink sachet pouch
- Rose petals
- Dried garden sage
- Dried lavender flowers and leaves
- Dried pomegranate seeds
- Rose quartz (or clear quartz)
- Dream journal
- Take the different ingredients and tie them into your sachet while keeping your intentions for uncovering your love
- Place the sachet underneath your pillow or directly underneath your headspace under your bed.
- Keep the sachet there for two weeks.
- Begin writing down your dreams to find out if the universe is sending you clues. Remain open that the universe will honor your request and bring you your dream love.
Spells To Attract Suspected Love
If you think that someone you have feelings for has feelings for you, you may want to nurture that energy to fruition. Remember, these spells will only reveal the love the person has for you. They will not fall in love with you, and your focus should not be entrapment of any kind.
White Candle Love Spell
This spell is meant to bring whatever love the person has for you to the open. It may be nothing but platonic love, or there may be no love to bring to the surface. Accept what the results are openly and honestly. You’ll need:
- A white candle – It should be big enough to inscribe but small enough to burn completely while you watch. A four-inch candle is often a good idea.
- Rose thorn from a white rose bush
- Some things precious to you and precious to your loved one
- Take the rose thorn and inscribe “All my love come to me” three times on the candle.
- Place the candle in the middle of your altar, surrounded by your precious things.
- Light the candle and watch it burn, visualizing love coming to you in its sincerest form.
- When the candle is spent, gather the wax and wrap it up with the altar mementos. Keep this in a safe place.
- Accept what love the person has for you in its truest form no matter what that form takes.
You can gently sweeten the attraction you feel for each other or nurture a new relationship or relationship that’s gone a little cold with a classic Hoodoo honey jar. You’ll need:
- A small jar
- Raw honey
- Petition paper
- Write the name of your love or crush on the paper and fold it up.
- Place the paper in the jar of honey and seal the jar.
- Leave the jar in a protected, dark place and allow it to do its work.
- The honey will sweeten your relationship, so be sure it’s left in a place that won’t be disturbed.
Spells to Clear the Past
Sometimes you need to clear out your past in order to make space for new love. To do this, you need to perform a clearing of some kind to untie you from what’s holding you back.
Simple Releasing Petition
This is one of the easiest ways to release blockages from your past is to use a petition. You’ll need:
- A piece of paper
- A fire-safe container
- Write down a list of your fears connected to your love, starting each statement with “I release.”
- As you write, focus your intention on bringing those feelings out of your body and onto the paper.
- Rub the paper on your body from top to bottom to put your energy into the spell.
- Blow three times on the list
- Burn the paper in your fire safe container and allow the universe to absorb your fears and release you to new love.
- Flush the ashes down the toilet to dispose of them and cleanse yourself through smudging, staining, bathing, or whatever your ancestral lineage requires.
A cord-cutting ritual can help remove any lingering energy drains and blocks that could be preventing you from moving forward. This is a simple intention-focused spell. You’ll need:
- A white candle
- A blue candle
- A red candle
- Fresh basil
- A bowl of rainwater (or filtered spring water)
- Gently cleanse your space and call your intention. This can be in whatever tradition you follow to begin a spell.
- Place your candles around your altar and put the bowl in the middle where you can reach.
- Put the basil in the water.
- Light the white candle. Focus on pure divine light.
- Light the blue candle. Focus on the gentle wisdom of the universe.
- Light the red candle. Focus on the passion you have inside you.
- Wash your face gently with the basil water.
- Repeat the following: “Cutting cords, releasing ties. For my past, it’s just goodbyes.”
- Blow out the candles and take the time you need to reflect on the ritual.
Creating a Love Altar
An altar is a space designed to focus your energy and provide you with a space to put your intentions out into the universe. An altar should have offerings to the spirits, guides, ancestors, and gods you work with.
A focused love altar can be an excellent way to solidify your intentions with the universe. In Feng Shui, a love altar is best placed in the far right corner of a room, but you can also use your intuition to feel the energetic placement best. Be sure to use a place that won’t be disturbed.
For your altar, you’ll need things like:
- Rose quartz and clear quartz
- Emerald crystals
- Pink and red candles
- Heart-shaped candles
- Rose petals
- Hibiscus petals
- Pink salt
- Pictures of love deities you work with
- Frames with pictures or quotes about love
- A list of your requests starting with “I desire a love that is”
- Use a pink or red cloth to cover your altar and carefully arrange the supplies you decide to use.
- Be sure to charge your altar by speaking positive words of affirmation over the altar focused on love or by offering gifts to the deities and guides you’re working with.
- Keep the area clean and free of dust and clutter. This is not a shelf. It’s a spiritual focal point for your intentions.
- Your love altar isn’t the place to perform your rituals. That’s a workplace altar. This one is a dedicated space to your love intention and to honoring the guides working with you on this process.
While your altar is open, be sure to recognize and work with other forms of love as they come to you. If your pet loves you unconditionally, accept that love, and send it back out to the universe. Cultivate love with yourself. Acknowledge the love you have from your friends or family. The more you honor love in all its forms, the higher your vibration is from the universe.
Knowing If Your Love Spell Has Worked
One of the biggest questions is how to know that the love spell has worked. Aside from your perfect person showing up at your front door, you should keep in mind that the universe works in mysterious ways.
Focusing your love spells on attracting love and opening yourself up to love provides you with a path to work through self-love blocks and find connection with the energy of the universe. You may know that the spell has worked if you begin to feel more hopeful about your ability to be loved, or you find yourself deepening connects with everyone around you.
If you feel like you tried the spell and did the work and nothing has happened, be patient. Give yourself some time between trying spells to allow yourself to work through what may have blocked your efforts the previous time.
Take the time to work on your own energies. If you feel unloved, that could be blocking the full potency of your love spells, so gently reorient the way you speak to yourself. Do the inner work, and the outer may follow.
Finding Love with Magic
Magic isn’t a cure-all. You shouldn’t approach love spells as curing something that’s wrong with you. The purpose of magic is to bring you things for your highest good, so keeping your intentions in line with opening yourself up to love is a better way to approach your love spells.
Once again, trying to trap a person who doesn’t love you into a relationship without their consent is bound to backfire spectacularly. Those kinds of spells are only going to hurt the one you love and cause you to drain your energy. Plus, the betrayal if the recipient ever finds out could ruin your relationship for good.
Love spells are an excellent way to focus your intention and inner work on giving and receiving love in healthy ways. Working on yourself first is a good option for helping a love spell come to fruition. Keep your mind open to all the ways that the spell may actually be attracting love to you, whether it’s expected or not, and you may find that the spells work better than you ever imagined. Go forth and love openly and honestly.