Meditation is an invaluable tool that people can use to overcome daily stressors, practice mindfulness, and improve their mental health. Meditation practices can largely vary from person to person, as the value of meditation can be wholly individual. That being said, many people choose to meditate while sitting upright with a straight back. To feel comfortable in this position, especially if you will be meditating for a long period of time, some form of support is usually needed. While some people can simply use a pillow or cushion, meditation chairs provide the highest level of support and comfort while meditating.
While meditation chairs may seem like a narrow product category, there are countless different designs available today. Ranging vastly in style, features, and price, finding an ideal meditation seat can require a lot of comparison and research. To simplify this process for you, we’re gathered up our favorite meditation chairs around today. Representing a wide variety of chair types, we’re confident that you can find a great chair option for you in our list.
What to Look for in Meditation Chairs
Cushioned vs. Uncushioned
Meditation chairs may be either cushioned or uncushioned. This difference makes a large impact on how it feels to sit in the chair and could even affect your meditation.
Many meditation chairs are cushioned. Cushions can vary greatly, from thin and minimally padded to thick and voluminous. The right cushion for your meditation chair will depend entirely on your preferences. Some people prefer a thick cushion for softness and to mute the impact of the joints on the hard chair surface. Others would rather sit on a thin cushion for stability and to maintain ideal posture during meditation.
Meditation chairs may also be uncushioned. Uncushioned chairs often have just a wooden surface upon which to sit. The benefit of this type of meditation char is that it’s easier to maintain perfect posture during your meditation. The flat surface will keep you perfectly upright and stable throughout the meditation. However, sitting on a hard surface without any padding can cause pressure and pain in the joints, especially the sitz bones.
The choice is yours as to whether to opt for a cushioned or uncushioned meditation chair. Generally speaking, those with joint pain or limited flexibility may find more success with a cushioned seat. Conversely, uncushioned seats are often preferred by people who are experienced in meditation or yoga.
Some individuals may choose to keep their meditation chair in a single place in their home, returning to the same spot each time they want to meditate. But, others may want a meditation chair that can be moved easily.
Perhaps you want to be able to tuck the meditation chair away whenever you’re done using it so that it doesn’t take up space on the floor. In this case, you may want to consider a meditation chair with adjustability. If it can be adjusted so that it lies flat, you can store it underneath a bed or up against the wall in a closet.
If you want a meditation chair that can be brought with you out of the house, it’s best to find an option that can be easily taken apart and put back together. Or, find a small meditation cushion that fits comfortably in your travel bag. There are even meditation chairs that can be folded in half, then stored in a bag or box for transport. Some meditation chairs come with a travel bag included for added convenience. Thankfully, meditation seats come in a large variety of shapes and sizes so that you can find one to fit your needs.
As with any other type of chair, durability is an important feature to consider when it comes to meditation chairs. Sitting on a chair can cause wear and tear over time. If your meditation chair isn’t built to last, you may start to see damage in as little as a few months.
You should consider the longevity of the cushioning and frame of the chair. The cushion should be made of a high-quality fabric that’s minimally susceptible to tears. This could include leather, upholstery fabric, or plush.
The frame of your chair needs to be sturdy, too. Metal frames are often a good bet for long-lasting meditation chairs. High-quality wooden chair structures can also last for many years and provide the added benefit of a rustic, attractive appearance.
Main Benefits of Meditation Chairs
Meditation chairs provide three key benefits for the health and comfort of people who meditate. The first is that they:
- Enable you to meditate for longer without discomfort by relieving pressure from the joints
Meditation involves sitting down, often on the floor, for long periods of time. A meditation session can last for virtually any length of time, but it typically ranges from 5 minutes to half an hour. Sitting in one position for an extended period of time can put pressure on your joints. In a cross-legged or kneeling position, many people feel strain in their hips, knees, and ankles. Meditation in any position can cause back pain – this is because maintaining a straight back for proper posture is essential in meditation, but can be difficult to maintain. The sitz bones can also become tender or painful while sitting upright on the ground for several minutes.
Meditation chairs provide the support and padding needed to protect and properly align the joints while seated. The seat often has a back section to position the spine in optimal alignment with the hips. Many meditation seats are also designed to align the hips above the knees for comfort in a cross-legged position. The cushioning included with many meditation seats provides a layer between your bones and the floor so that they don’t become bruised or tender.
In addition to increasing comfort for people who meditate, meditation chairs can boost your overall wellness by:
- Promoting good posture and alignment
Meditation chairs provide extra support while you meditate in a sitting position by aligning your spine. This helps to remove pressure on your joints for pain relief while promoting good posture. It’s important to practice good posture as it can prevent chronic pain and improve your body language. Great posture makes for a confident, positive appearance.
Meditation chairs can also improve your experience during meditation by:
- The increasing focus for more effective meditation
Meditation is proven to provide benefits including stress relief, improved emotional health, and lower anxiety levels. To reap these benefits, however, it’s important to reach a calm, focused state. If you’re uncomfortable in your meditation position, you may not be able to meditate for as long as you would like to. Or, the discomfort may distract you and inhibit a state of mindfulness.
Meditation chairs remove the distraction of pain and discomfort from sitting during meditation. When you’re solely focused on meditating and can let go of aches and pains in the body, you’ll benefit greatly from meditation.
Best Meditation Chairs to Buy Today
Meditation chairs come in a variety of styles and designs, making it possible to find one that fits your unique needs. Here, we’ve rounded up the best, most highly rated meditation chairs available today. You can review these product listings, along with their pros and cons, to determine which option is the right fit for you.
This crescent-shaped meditation cushion works as a chair to relieve pressure on the joints while meditating. Constructed from sustainable and soft GOTS-Certified organic cotton, the removable cover provides exceptional comfort. This cover is also entirely machine washable and highly durable with heavy stitching. This meditation cushion has an adjustable buckwheat filler that won’t flatten or shrink with use, meaning that this product will stay in great condition for many years. The filler is conveniently located in a second inner pouch and may be added or removed to adjust the firmness of the cushion.
This meditation chair is designed to suit a range of people. It’s available in three different sizes and seven tasteful colors so that you can find the perfect combination for you. The variety of sizes ensures that your cushion provides optimal support and comfort. The three different sizes that you can choose from are:
- The Crescent, which measures 5 inches high and 17 inches wide
- The Zabuton, which measures 4 inches high and 24 inches wide
- The Zafu, which measures 5.5 inches high and 15 inches wide
- The buckwheat hull filling is long-lasting and easily adjustable so that you can achieve the perfect level of firmness.
- With multiple sizes available, you can find the right cushion size to support your body during meditation.
- The cushion features a carrying handle so that it can be easily transported and stored.
- This meditation cushion can double as a yoga block to relieve strain on your joints during your yoga practice.
- This meditation cushion comes at an affordable price for budget-conscious shoppers.
- Compared to similar cushions on the market, this meditation cushion is very firm and may not be comfortable for all individuals.
- If some of the buckwheat hull fillings are removed for less firmness, the outer cover may be too big and have a baggy look.
- This meditation cushion is smaller than other available options, which may not provide enough hip support for all individuals.
The bonVIVO Easy II Padded Floor Chair is a top-selling meditation chair that comes at a competitive price. It has a foldable design for easy storage and transport. Plus, the backrest of this meditation chair is adjustable, enabling you to alter its position for optimal support and comfort. This padded floor chair is constructed with a combination of high-quality materials including upholstery filling, PE foam, and PU foam. These materials conform closely to the body to provide comfort throughout long periods of sitting in meditation. This meditation chair has a durable fabric cover made of resistant synthetic fibers. It can be spot cleaned with water or machine washed at 30 degrees.
The bonVIVO Padded Floor Chair can support up to 220 pounds of body weight. It measures 18.9 inches long, 16.9 inches wide, and 21.3 inches in height. This chair also weighs just over 5 pounds, making it remarkably light and portable. So, you can bring it along virtually anywhere you may need extra support in a seated position.
- This meditation chair has an adjustable backrest, which makes it unique among its competitors. The adjustable backrest enables you to find a position that provides the most support and comfort for your unique body shape.
- While this padded floor chair is ideal for use as a meditation chair, it can provide comfort and support in any setting in which you’re sitting down. So, it can double as a stadium chair, a bedroom chair, a chair for kids, or even as a lawn chair. It may also be used to provide added support while sitting on a sofa or chair.
- This meditation chair is lightweight and easily foldable so that it can be transported with ease. This is especially helpful for people who meditate in yoga class or enjoy meditating outdoors.
- Due to the synthetic materials used to construct this chair, it has a chemical smell when it’s first taken out of the box. The smell will go away after a few days of being aired out.
- This meditation chair doesn’t provide as much cushioning as competing products on the market. This makes for a firmer feel that may be too hard for some individuals.
- This padded chair is relatively narrow in width, so it may not accommodate people of all shapes and sizes.
The Alexia Meditation Seat was designed with yoga in mind to provide relaxation and support in a seated position. It was a lotus-shaped design that elevates the hips and moves them forward, enabling you to fold your legs underneath you comfortably. This is a tried-and-true meditation position for mindfulness and inner peace. Plus, with this yoga chair, your lower back, knees, ischium, instep, and feet will all be supported.
The Alexia Meditation Seat comes with multiple options of coverings. You can opt for a colored fabric, such as orange, red, green or purple, vegan leather, or genuine leather. The high-quality covering gives this seat an attractive appearance for use around your home. The covering also enhances the durability of this seat, which is ensured by the built-in light metal skeleton. This metal frame provides the ideal amount of support for your body during meditation.
- The Alexia meditation seat was specially designed to support your body in a meditation pose, relieving pain from pressure on the back, knees, or feet.
- This seat is constructed from top-caliber materials so that it stays in great condition for years to come.
- You can choose the covering material in a specific color, leather, or vegan leather so that the style matches your aesthetic.
- The Alexia meditation seat won the Reddot Design Award in 2016.
- This meditation seat weighs approximately 20 pounds, which is relatively heavy and may make it difficult to transport.
- The Alexia meditation seat comes at a very high price and is likely not the right choice for budget-conscious shoppers.
The Birdrock Home Adjustable Memory Foam Floor Chair combines support, softness, and comfort. It’s constructed of top-caliber chopped memory foam and plush outer fabric for a luxurious feel. The memory foam conforms to the unique curves of your body for joint support and relaxation. Additionally, this floor chair can be adjusted to 14 different positions. It can even be set flat on the ground so that you can lie down on the floor comfortable. The various options of position mean that you can create the ideal seat for your preferred meditation position.
This floor chair measures 19 inches wide, 23 inches deep, and 22.5 inches high. It weighs 10.5 pounds so that it can be transported easily. Since the chair can be adjusted to a flat position, it may be stored underneath a bed, couch, in a closet, or even stacked with other chairs.
- The chopped memory foam conforms to the body so that you can support and comfort for your unique shape.
- The plush outer fabric of this meditation chair is thick and soft for comfort even after hours of sitting.
- Since this chair is adjustable and may be locked into 14 different positions, you can find the ideal chair angle for your sitting meditation position.
- This floor chair can be made flat and stored easily underneath a bed or couch. This means that it takes up very little space when not in use.
- The back section of this chair doesn’t rise high enough to provide ample neck support.
- Over time, the chair may become stuck in certain positions, making it trickier to adjust.
- The memory foam filling material can flatten over time and need to be fluffed out.
The IKUKO meditation bench is designed to relieve pressure from the knees and hips while meditating in a kneeling position. Constructed from local wild cherrywood, this meditation bench is extremely durable and of high quality. Also, while seated on this bench with your legs folded underneath you, your spine is optimally aligned for excellent posture and tension relief. The body is both relaxed and upright in this position, which is ideal for meditation.
This meditation bench is designed and created by specialists in ergonomics and posture. The seat is curved and arched to conform to the curves of your body – this helps you stay comfortable without the need for a cushion. Plus, this meditation bench comes in three unique sizes, enabling you to find the perfect fit for your height, body type, and level of flexibility.
This IKUKO bench may improve your meditation experience by facilitating the kneeling position. A kneeling position is a great option for anyone who struggles with a cross-legged position. The IKUKO bench allows the spine to align properly over the pelvis to maintain its natural curve, relieving pressure on the lower back to promote circulation and deep breathing.
One exclusive feature of the IKIKO bench is its portability. Both bench legs can be removed and the parts can be stored in the included 100% organic cotton travel bag. This makes it an exceptional option for yoga classes and meditation retreats or workshops.
- This bench is a suitable choice for those struggling with a cross-legged meditation position, or those who experience joint pain in a kneeling position. The design of this bench relieves tension and pressure while promoting proper spine alignment.
- This meditation bench is constructed from genuine cherrywood for durability and attractive design.
- The structure of this bench enables you to meditate in a kneeling position while maintaining the natural curve of the spine. This allows for deeper breathing throughout your meditation.
- The legs of this meditation bench can be easily removed and reattached for portability. An organic cotton travel bag is included.
- This meditation bench has a high price tag compared to its competitors.
- Due to the smooth wooden material, people may experience sliding on this bench during long meditation sessions.
- Shorter individuals may find that the bench is a bit too large, causing a less comfortable fit and a higher chance of sliding.
The meditation and yoga chair from FOM, Friends of Meditation, is a large, supportive seat to increase comfort during meditation. Designed for anyone measuring under 6 feet, 2 inches, it features a meditation block and detachable back support to facilitate multiple meditation positions. The seat itself measures 24 inches by 22 inches, with 4-inch 40d foam.
This meditation chair from Friends of Meditation helps improve posture and relieve joint pain by aligning the hips above the knees. It’s ideal for people with low flexibility, chronic back pain, or beginners to meditation who aren’t accustomed to sitting for long periods of time. This chair can also keep the legs from going numb when you’re in a cross-legged position.
This extra-large meditation chair comes with a carrying bag for transport. The chair is completely foldable so that you can take it with you to yoga class, meditation retreats, and more. The chair weighs approximately 11.5 pounds, which is surprisingly light considering the size of the chair.
- The extra-large size of this chair means that it can be used comfortably by anyone under 6 feet, 2 inches.
- This meditation chair is ideal for people who prefer to meditate in a cross-legged position – it aligns the hips above the knees to prevent back and joint pain.
- This meditation chair comes with a carrying bag and is fully foldable. So, you can take it with you to yoga class, on vacation, or to a meditation retreat.
- This meditation chair isn’t as durable as other options available on the market and the backrest may give out after extensive use.
- The carrying bag is of low quality and may get damaged easily.
- The price tag for this meditation chair is relatively high.
The Gaiam Rattan Meditation Chair is a well-designed and high-quality meditation chair for comfort. It’s designed with a tall back to provide support along with a thick meditation cushion. This cushion, which has a filling of sustainable kapok, facilitates meditation is a cross-legged position. Plus, the natural cotton cushion cover is removable and can be conveniently washed in the washing machine.
This meditation chair from Gaiam has a seat height of 8 inches, so you’re elevated off of the ground for cross-legged comfort. The entire chair measures 34 inches wide, 25.5 inches in diameter, and 19.5 inches high. The chair has a weight capacity of 250 pounds.
The Gaiam meditation chair has an attractive design to make it a beautiful fixture in your home, office, or studio. The structure of the chair is a deep brown, woven material that’s both neutral and elegant. The cream-white color of the cushion adds contrast and gives the chair a light, natural look.
- The raised back of this meditation chair provides back support and comfort during long meditation sessions.
- The cushion of this chair is filled with sustainable kapok as an environmentally-friendly material. The cushion cover is removable and machine-washable for convenience.
- This meditation chair has a spacious seating area for ample room to sit comfortably in a cross-legged position.
- The simple yet elegant design of this meditation chair makes it a lovely fixture for rooms throughout your home.
- The cushion may not be as thick as those on other available meditation chairs, making this chair feel relatively hard.
- While the back of this meditation chair is raised, it’s not a full-length back. People with chronic back pain may need more back support than this chair provides, especially during extended periods of meditation.
This meditation bench from Meditation Designs has a simple yet effective construction that comes at an affordable price. It’s constructed from sustainable acacia wood for both beauty and durability. The long seat is cushioned and comes in three different colors: “natural”, which is a cream shade, royal blue, and “zen black”.
What’s unique about this meditation bench is that the pedestal legs are rounded and angled. This enables you to rock the bench to different positions and find the ideal placement for you. The rounded legs make this bench both supportive and comfortable for an assortment of meditation positions. The legs are securely fastened and no unattractive screws are visible.
This meditation bench can’t be folded. This design is intentional – the manufacturer finds that foldable meditation chairs and benches can be unstable and detract from the meditation experience. So, this meditation bench will be a fixture in your home, office, or studio. While it’s not portable, it provides stability and reliable support for your meditation sessions.
This meditation bench measures 18 inches in length, making it one of the longest options on this list. It’s also 8 inches wide, providing ample space for a variety of meditation positions. The bench is approximately 6 to 7 inches off of the ground, depending on the position of the rounded legs.
- This meditation bench is ideal for those who need a stable seat for meditation, not one that can be folded. It’s advertised as a “real” piece of furniture that you can keep in your home for years to come.
- The acacia wood used to construct the frame of this bench is sustainably grown.
- The rounded and angled legs of this bench mean that it can be adjusted to a position that works for you. It can accommodate many different meditation poses.
- This meditation bench has a streamlined design that may coordinate well with all different types of home decor.
- This meditation bench is remarkably affordable, especially considering its size and secure construction.
- While the lack of portability of this bench was intentional and provides added stability, it means that this option may not fit the needs of people who need a meditation chair that can be transported.
- The cushion doesn’t have a removable cover. It would need to be spot cleaned rather than machine washed.
- This bench may not be high enough off the ground for people with knee pain or limited flexibility.
The Seagrass meditation chair has a full-frame and cushion so that it can be a fixture in your home or yoga studio. It features a curved base for added space to accommodate your feet and support your knees in virtually any meditation position. The seat is constructed of woven seagrass, which creates a visually interesting design to contribute to your home’s decor.
This meditation chair has a seat height of 8 inches. It’s 31 inches wide, 29 inches in diameter, and 23 inches high in total. The seat has a weight capacity of 300 pounds. This chair features a full cushion for support; ties are included in each corner to secure the cushion to the chair frame. The cushion cover is removable and can be machine washed.
This meditation chair is large to provide ample support during meditation for people of all sizes. The chair structure enables meditation in a cross-legged position or in a seated position with the ankles crossed on the ground. It’s designed for indoor use and is available in multiple color options: the frame comes in Natural or Expresso and the cushion comes in white or flax.
- This meditation chair is larger than many other options on the market, making it a great choice for taller individuals.
- The weaved frame of this chair is both durable and attractive, featuring a slight curve of the base to accommodate a cross-legged meditation position.
- The cushion of this meditation seat is supportive and stays secure to the frame with corner ties. The cushion cover can be easily removed and machine washed.
- This meditation chair isn’t portable, so it’s not the best choice for those looking to travel with a meditation seat.
- The chair is quite low to the ground, which may make it difficult for taller individuals to stand up out of it.
Another meditation chair from the brand Friends of Meditation, this seat has a streamlined design for comfort, portability, and versatility. It measures 18 inches high, 18 inches long, and 3 inches wide. The chair is filled with feather foam for softness and support to ease joint pain during meditation. The foam comes with a 7-year guarantee.
The main purpose of this chair is to relieve pain from sitting on the floor for long periods of time. This is great for beginners to meditation and people with chronic back pain, joint pain, or inflexibility. It can also enable older people to meditate for longer periods of time.
This meditation chair weighs just under 5 pounds, which is exceptionally lightweight. This means that it’s highly portable and can be brought along to yoga class, meditation retreats, or vacations. It also comes with a carrying bag to further facilitate easy transport.
- The lightweight design of this meditation chair means that it can travel with you for meditation in various locations.
- The feather foam material of this meditation seat is comfortable and provides padding to reduce the impact on the joints. The seat enables people with chronic pain or discomfort during meditation to sit on the floor for long periods of time.
- The ample size of this meditation chair means that it’s comfortable for people of a range of heights and weights.
- This meditation seat isn’t entirely foldable, which may be inconvenient during transport.
- This chair isn’t raised at all up off of the ground, which could make standing up uncomfortable for some people.
Meditation can be even more beneficial for people from all walks of life with the use of a meditation chair. As we’ve learned from this article, meditation chairs can significantly boost comfort and focus during meditation by properly aligning the body and relieves pressure from the joints. While the meditation chairs listed here vary greatly in style, features, and price point, each one shares the goal of supporting the body in various meditation positions.
While each meditation chair listed in this article provides an array of unique benefits, our top choice is the Friends of Meditation Extra Large Relaxing Buddha Meditation and Yoga Chair. While this chair is relatively pricey, it provides exceptional support and is sized to accommodate all individuals. By elevating the hips above the knees and providing an extra back cushion, this chair keeps the joints supported in any position. Having been designed by a registered yoga teacher and Osho meditation facilitator, Swami Dhyan Unmesh, it’s no surprise that this meditation chair includes thoughtful features to optimize any meditation session.
Now that you know our top pick for meditation chairs available today, you can consider your individual needs to select the right one for you. Your meditation sessions will be even more fruitful with the help of a top-notch meditation chair.