Meditation is a practice in calming the mind to find greater clarity and purpose. Especially in today’s hectic world, we can all benefit from meditation to slow down and get in touch with our true selves.
If you’re looking to deepen your spiritual practice, a meditation candle could be right for you. Meditation candles can be highly beneficial in helping you reach a reflective state. The soothing light from a flame, as well as the scent from a scented candle, can create a soothing environment to melt away extraneous thoughts and worries.
There are many options available to people seeking out meditation candles today. With a variety of shapes, sizes, colors, and scents, the selection of candles at your disposal is remarkable. To help you find the right option for you, we’ve created this extensive guide to shopping for meditation candles. From the best uses for meditation candles to our favorite products available today, you’ll find the information you need to make a smart purchasing decision.
How to Use Candles in Meditation
Candles have several applications in meditation, and different people use meditation candles in different ways. If you’re a newcomer to meditation, you may want to experiment with a variety of methods to learn what works best for you.
1. Candle Meditation to Reach a Hypnotic State
It’s human nature to be drawn to fire. A flame produces light and warmth, which both bring us a sense of comfort. You can use this human instinct to guide your meditation by reaching a trance-like state.
Looking into a flame is a powerful tool for clearing the mind. Candle meditation is as simple as gazing into a candle flame with a focus on clearing your mind. Be sure to settle in a comfortable position prior to candle meditation, and know that it’s most effective in a dimly lit space.
After calming your mind by looking into the flame, begin to deepen your breath without changing your gaze. Your gaze should begin to soften, with the flame enveloping your thoughts. Candle meditation has a hypnotic quality that can be highly beneficial for stress and anxiety.
2. Creating a Tranquil Atmosphere With Candles
Candles are designed to create a calming environment. The soft, flickering light from the candle’s flame is soothing – in fact, the flame alone is often enough to transport us to a relaxed state. But, certain scents from candles can also be used to create an ideal environment for meditation.
Scents can be powerful in triggering emotions. Scents can take us back to a specific memory, remind us of a person, or even spur sensations like hunger. So, using a candle with a scent that compliments the goals of your meditation can lead to richer benefits. For example, if you want to find peace and relaxation from daily stressors, find a candle with a soothing scent. If you want to energize your mind for clarity and motivation, find a bright, crisp scent. You can even find candles with complex, multi-faceted scents that combine warm, soothing elements with bright, invigorating notes.
How to Take Care of Your Candle
To help your candle last for as long as possible and to stay safe while it’s burning, follow these tips:
- Melt the top layer of wax in the first burn to prevent tunneling.
To complete this step, you’ll need to burn the candle for about one hour for each inch of diameter. So, if your candle has a diameter of three inches, you’ll need to burn it for at least three hours on the first use. If you don’t fully melt the top surface of the candle when it’s brand-new, it can cause tunneling as the area around the wick melts and sinks, while the surrounding surface remains solid.
- Position your candle on a stable, heat-safe surface away from fans and vents.
Burning a candle on an unsteady surface can cause it to tip over, which is a fire hazard. Additionally, air blown into the candle flame from a fan or vent could cause the flame to grow and catch on a nearby material.
So, always place your candle on a flat, secure surface before lighting it. You should also make sure that the surface below your candle is heat-resistant to prevent heat damage.
- Burn your candle in a well-ventilated room.
Commercially-sold candles are non-toxic, but it’s still wise to only burn them in a room with plenty of ventilation. This will prevent you from experiencing respiratory irritation or other adverse effects.
- Trim the wick to ⅛ inch after every 4 hours of burn time.
To keep your candle burning cleanly and evenly, trim the wick to ⅛ inch after about every four hours of burn time.
- Don’t burn your candle for longer than 4 hours at once.
If you burn a candle for more than 4 hours at once, it could cause more smoke to release into the air and pose a risk to the quality of air in your home. Also, candle wicks that have been lit for several hours can become unstable and cause a large, unmanageable flame.
- Always put out your candle when you leave the room.
Keep your candle in your sight while it’s lit. This is the only sure way to avoid flame-related accidents.
- When only ½ inch of the candle is remaining, it’s time to replace it.
This is an important rule to follow for safe candle use. Burning a candle below ½ inch can cause heat damage to the surface beneath the jar or candleholder.
Soy Wax vs. Paraffin Wax: What’s The Difference?
Soy wax and paraffin wax are the two main wax types that candles are made out of. Each provides unique benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to know the difference between them before going candle shopping.
First off, know that the wax used in any candle is non-toxic, though all candles will produce soot when burned. But, the soot produced by these two types of waxes are different. Soot from soy wax candles is typically lighter in color than soot from paraffin candles. For both wax types, the volume of soot left behind after a candle is burned can depend on the length of the wick, as well as whether or not the flame was disrupted as it burned.
Soy wax is derived from soybean oil. Depending on the candle, soy wax may also contain non-soy products. This could include animal products, so it’s wise to check with candle manufacturers to see whether they use 100% pure soy wax.
Paraffin wax has a petroleum base and is made from crude oil. Specifically, paraffin wax is created from lube oil, the refined form of crude oil after it’s been extracted. Paraffin wax is commonly used in commercial goods like candles because it repels water and is non-reactive.
Soy is a renewable resource, but petroleum isn’t. The renewability of soy wax is what makes it a more popular choice than paraffin wax for many consumers. But, that being said, both soy wax and paraffin wax are clean-burning fuel sources according to federal regulations.
Our Top Meditation Candle Picks
There are countless candle varieties available today, and the number of different meditation candles on the market is boundless. To help you decide on the perfect meditation candle for your needs, we’ve compiled our favorites in the list below. Read about the pros and cons for each candle listed to help you decide which one is right for you.
The Peace + Tranquility candle from Chesapeake Bay is a large candle to fuel your meditation sessions for many months to come. The large size of this candle weight 12.5 ounces and measures 3.2 inches by 3.2 inches by 6.2 inches, creating a burn time of about 70 hours.
Peace + Tranquility features calming scents of gentle cashmere, white musk, pungent jasmine and subtle lily of the valley. Specifically, the top notes are aldehydic, lily of the valley, and bergamot. The middle notes are jasmine, cotton blossom, rose, and Ylang Ylang. Finally, the base notes are cashmere wood, musk, and sandalwood. The overall effect of this scent combination is relaxing and peaceful.
Natural essential oils including Ylang Ylang, lemon, and cedarwood are used in the making of this candle for a strong, authentic scent. The entire candle is a natural soy wax blend, and it has self-trimming wicks for your convenience. The candle is thoughtfully designed so that it burns evenly, preventing the burned wax from creating puddles.
- The 70-hour burn time means that this candle will last you for many uses.
- The complex combination of scents in this candle, along with the inclusion of essential oils, is both unique and calming for use during meditation.
- The self-trimming wick and soy wax blend prevent the need to trim the wick by hand.
- After several months of use, the scent of this candle may start to fade.
- Refills for this popular candle option aren’t available.
- The scent of this candle is subtle and may not fill large rooms.
This rainbow candle from Chakra & Luck is designed especially to help you find balance and focus during meditation. It features 7 different colored candles, alternating according to the order of the rainbow. Each color is meant to represent a different chakra to enhance your meditation practice.
With seven separate colors and a total burn time of approximately 80 hours, this candle is long-lasting. It’s made of 100% paraffin wax that’s both fragrance-free and non-toxic. The wick is made of cotton for a clean burn.
This layered candle comes in a durable glass jar to prevent tipping or spilling during use. The clear glass makes the vibrant colors of the candle clearly visible for a beautiful addition to your home.
- The unique design of this candle promotes an awareness of the 7 chakras during meditation.
- This candle is made of hand-poured, fragrance-free, and non-toxic paraffin wax.
- An approximate burn time of 80 hours means that this candle will last you for several meditation sessions to come.
- This candle is unscented, unlike most of the other candles on this list, which emit a relaxing scent.
This Chesapeake Bay candle features the scent “Balance + Harmony”. With key notes of water lily and pear, the fragrance has top notes of apple, pear, bergamot, orange zest, tropical fruits, and ozone. The middle notes are jasmine, rose, violet, coconut, cyclamen, and water lily. The base notes are clean musk, rosewood, green foliage, sandalwood, and anise. This candle is also infused with orange essential oil.
The complex scent of this candle is designed to promote wellness and inner peace. It belongs to the Mind & Body collection from Chesapeake Bay, which carries the theme of harmony and balance. Plus, this candle is made from a soy wax blend with self-trimming wicks for a cleaner burn.
This candle comes in a soft teal frosted jar. While the jar is opaque, you can see the light of the flame shining through as you burn the candle. It has a burn time of 50 hours from 8.8 ounces of wax to last you for several meditation sessions.
- The scent of this candle combines rich tropical fruits, lush green foliage, and subtle hints of sandalwood, encouraging you to find balance between your body and nature.
- This candle comes in a durable and beautiful frosted jar.
- With a burn time of 50 hours, this wax candle will burn for many meditation sessions.
- The self-trimming wick of this candle prevents puddles of hot wax from forming.
- The scent of this candle may not be potent enough to fill a large room.
- This candle may tunnel after a long burn, causing the wax to rise up the sides of the jar.
This white candle from the Autumn Green Shop is designed for use during meditation and/or yoga. Specifically, it’s meant to burn to cultivate calmness, hope, peace, enlightenment, and healing. A Lotus Yoga Charm is included when you purchase this candle, and you can keep it to wear as jewelry or treasure as a keepsake once the candle has fully burned down.
This cylindrical candle measures 8 inches high. The glass jar is durable and clear so you can see how much wax is left to burn.
- The pure white color of this candle will help to promote calmness and peace in your meditation practice.
- The included Lotus Yoga Charm is a nice keepsake to remind you of the power of mindfulness throughout the day.
- The glass jar that holds this white wax candle is both elegant and durable.
- This candle is unscented, which may be disappointing for meditators wanting a relaxing scent during meditation.
This pillar candle from Crystal Journey is designed to cultivate positive energy for your meditation practice. It’s made with a high-quality paraffin wax blend and an exotic combination of essential oils. All of the materials used to create this candle are lead-free.
The scent of this candle features notes of sandalwood and saffron oils. It also includes unusual frankincense and dragon’s blood oils. Frankincense is dried sap from the Boswellia tree, which can be found in areas of Yemen and Africa. It has an earthy, spicy aroma with a comforting quality. Dragon’s blood is the name for the red resin that comes from “dragon trees”, a variety of tropical trees. Similarly to frankincense, dragon’s blood has a woody, spicy aroma infused with notes of clove, orange, and cedarwood.
- This candle burns cleanly and evenly to minimize mess.
- This candle has a strong scent to fill large rooms.
- The complex fragrance of this candle features unique essential oils for a peaceful yet invigorating effect during meditation.
- This candle is limited in size and burns quickly, so it may not last for a long time.
- Unlike many of its competitors, this candle doesn’t come in a glass jar or other durable container. You’ll need to use your own jar or candleholder.
This aromatherapy candle from Aroma Naturals is handmade in the United States and designed for meditation. It features scents of patchouli, a plant that belongs to the mint family, and frankincense, which we discussed above. This combination of scents from pure essential oils is both intense and therapeutic. Plus, the candle is allergy-friendly and made without synthetic fragrances.
This candle has a metal-free wick made entirely of cotton. With an approximate burn time of 50 hours, this candle will last for many meditation sessions to come. Aroma Naturals only uses food-grade waxes to produce their candles, so you can trust this meditation candle to be safe for use in your home. This candle burns cleanly to promote an overall sense of wellbeing.
For the best results, Aroma Naturals recommends that you melt the wax across the top width of the candle on the first use. But, be sure not to burn it for more than two to three hours. This process will prevent the candle from tunneling, which can lead to wasted wax. Also, be sure to place this candle in a secure candle holder or candle-safe burn plate before use.
- This candle is non-allergenic, non-synthetic, and uses only food-grade wax. So, it’s safe for use around people with sensitive skin and young children.
- The scent of this candle features patchouli and frankincense from pure essential oils, so it’s both natural and pungent.
- This candle has an all-cotton, non-metal wick for a safer burn.
- With an approximate burn time of 50 hours, this candle will last you a relatively long time.
- This candle doesn’t come with a jar or holder to burn it in; you’ll need to supply the holder yourself.
- This candle still tends to tunnel after several uses, despite the recommended instructions for use.
- This candle may not be even at the bottom, which can cause it to tip.
This is another candle from Autumn Green Shop, but it’s red instead of white. The deep red color of this candle is intended to cultivate love, passion, confidence, desire, vitality, and adventure. It’s designed to enhance meditation, yoga, and other spiritual pursuits.
This candle comes with a Lotus Yoga charm to symbolize health and empowerment. Once the candle has been completely burned out, you can keep the charm to wear as jewelry or keep as a reminder to stay present and mindful.
This candle has a cylindrical shape and measures 8 inches in height. It comes in a clear glass jar so that you can see how much the candle has burned down.
- The bright red color of this candle is both beautiful and symbolic for love and confidence.
- The Yoga Lotus charm can be kept for use as jewelry or as a simple memento.
- This candle comes in a sturdy jar so that it can be burned safely.
- This candle is unscented, and some meditators may be looking to fill their space with a comforting smell.
This natural soy candle from Art of the Root is designed to enhance intuition, clarity, inner awareness, purification, and wisdom. The herbs and oils included in the creation of this candle are intended to clear the mind and eradicate negative thoughts to increase perception. Additionally, the ingredients in this candle are especially chosen for their value to meditation and ability to help people reach a higher state of consciousness.
The key ingredients in this candle are lavender, sweet grass, palo santo, mugwort, frankincense, and myrrh, among other herbs and oils. It’s made with natural soy wax and comes ready to burn in an 8-ounce glass jar. The powerful herbs are visible in the candle, giving it a natural look.
- This candle contains a blend of herbs and oils especially intended to add value to meditation.
- With an included glass jar, this candle is all set to burn safely.
- This candle is made with all-natural soy wax.
- Considering the size and quality of this candle, it’s remarkably affordable.
- The aroma from this candle is relatively subtle and may not permeate your entire home.
If you’re looking for several small meditation candles to position throughout your home or room, this set of votive candles from Aroma Naturals could do the trick. 6 candles that individually measure 1.75 inches by 1.75 inches by 1.58 inches are included in this set. Each candle is made from 100% paraffin soy wax and has an all-cotton wick. The wax blend is non-allergenic, non-synthetic, and lead-free. Plus, each candle in this set has an approximate burn time of 15 hours. All candles from Aroma Naturals are made in the United States.
The candles in this set are designed for meditation with a scent of patchouli and frankincense. This blend of natural scents can help you feel grounded and balanced in meditation. Natural essential oils are used to formulate the scent for these candles for intensity and authenticity.
- The benefit of opting for this set of six candles rather than one large candle is that you can position them throughout your meditation space. The effect of several small candles will be soft, consistent light and fragrance throughout the room.
- Considering that 6 high-quality candles are included in this set, the price is excellent.
- The blend of patchouli and frankincense essential oils in this candle set makes for a soothing, meditative scent.
- These candles are made with allergy-friendly, non-synthetic wax and a lead-free wick.
- To burn these candles, you must provide your own candleholders – glass jar holders aren’t included.
- These candles have a subtle scent that may not carry all throughout your home.
This set of 5 chakra pillar candles are made to benefit your meditation practice by encouraging a sense of peace. These candles each feature seven distinct layers, each one in a different color. Each layer represents a unique chakra to promote spiritual health and awareness.
These candles are made from 100% paraffin wax and each have a 100% lead-free cotton wick. They’re unscented and clean-burning to reduce environmental impact, as well as non-toxic to prevent irritation. Plus, these candles have a burn time of 12 hours, which is remarkable considering their dimensions of 1 inch in diameter and 10 inches in length.
- These candles are natural, clean-burning, and lead-free.
- Each of the seven brightly-colored layers of these candles represents one of the 7 chakras. With will help you get more deeply in touch with your body and mind during meditation.
- These candles have a burn time of 12 hours, which is quite long considering their size.
- These candles are pricey, especially compared to other options on this list.
- The base of these candles may be slightly larger than the average size for a pillar candle holder.
- These candles are unscented and may not be the right option if you’re seeking a relaxing scent to enrich your meditation practice.
This candle from Magik Carpets provides benefits from 100% pure essential oils, sustainably sourced from Palo Santo. Measuring just under 2.5 inches tall and wide, it’s a modestly sized candle that packs a lot of punch.
The unique blend of essential oils used to create this candle makes it far more intense than your average scented candle. The scent blend of this candle, called “Palo Santo”, is woody with bright citrus notes, coupled with the sharpness of mint and cedar. Vetiver is also included, which is a scent that features earthy, woody, and smoky qualities, contributing a warm note to the blend. Tangerine is another key component of this scent blend, adding a slight sharpness to the candle. Jasmine offsets the sharpness of this citrusy blend, adding a light floral note.
This candle is 100% non-toxic and non-GMO. They’re hand-poured in small batches by Magik Carpets, ensuring the highest possible level of quality. This candle is also free of phthalates, parabens, and sulfates. Made from 100% natural soy wax, it burns cleanly with a lead-free cotton wick. What’s more, the jar and lid used to package this candle is recyclable and heat-resistant.
- The pure essential oil formulation of this candle produces a strong, therapeutic scent to rid negative energy from your body and mind during meditation.
- With several thoughtfully-paired fragrances, this candle has a warm, relaxing aroma.
- This candle is non-toxic, non-GMO, and made from 100% natural soy wax.
- This candle is the most expensive product on this list.
- This candle is small and may not last as long as other available products.
Meditation candles can enrich your spiritual practice for a greater feeling of calmness and clarity. We’ve listed several excellent products above for you to choose from, but one option stands above the rest. Despite its high price tag, the Magik Carpets Palo Santo candle is our top choice for meditation. With a rich, complex scent from a blend of 100% pure essential oils, as well as a non-GMO soy wax base, the quality of the candle is undeniable. Plus, it comes in a recyclable jar that’s both eco-friendly and safe for the candle flame.
Whether you opt for our top meditation candle choice or another option on this list, we can’t wait for you to experience the advantages of candle meditation.